The 2017 Hurricane Season was a particularly active one, with a total of seventeen named storms, 10 of which became hurricanes. Of those 10, 6 became major storms (Category 3 or stronger on the Saffir-Simpson Scale). These storm systems can carry winds anywhere from 111-160 miles per hour which can cause considerable damage to the homes in their path. When thinking of guarding your home from such potentially devastating storms, there are a couple of options to consider. Here is a look at some of the important things to know about hurricane shutters and hurricane impact windows.
Important facts about hurricane shutters:
- If considering hurricane shutters it is important to note that installing them over existing windows that do not close properly or are crank-closed, will not be efficient. Negative air pressure created by hurricanes can cause windows and doors to dislodge, allowing for water and wind damage. The shutters can contribute to damage as the panels can also be displaced due to the pressure.
- Installing new, non-impact windows and shutters can be costly and will not offer drastic improvements in performance when it comes to withstanding air pressure changes and high winds.
- Shutters can be difficult to install or operate, especially in homes with a second or clear story.
- Installing Shutters requires that holes be drilled to the exterior of a home which can create points for water intrusion.
Impact-resistant windows and doors provide many advantages:
- Hurricane Impact windows and doors are configured to withstand high winds, pressure and corrosion. They are stand-alone units that will not require additional coverings or adjustments prior to a storm.
- Impact products have many benefits, including noise reduction (up to 70%) and improved home security.
- Unobstructed views during a storm allow you to stay informed and see what is happening outside your home.
- UV coatings are available for impact glass and provide your home with sun protection and improved energy efficiency, year-round.
- According to the 2017 Cost vs. Value Report, Impact windows can improve your home's resale value and provide up to 110% return on investment. Click Here to view Cost vs. Value Report.
Florida’s Coastal environment presents unique challenges for homeowners and Window & Door Replacement Company is here to help you protect your investment.